This tech tip gives step-by-step instructions on how to install and Mazda in-dash 6 CD Changer/Cassette/Radio in a 90-97 Mazda Miata.
A special thanks goes out to the following Miata.net folks for their contributions in helping develop this resource:
Drake A. Daum aka MVMC Nr 1
Santa Rosa Steve
Mitro aka John
Ray aka BLK92c
and many more….
- m1 90-93 requires some minor cutting of center console bezel and radio.
- m1 94-97 may require some minor cutting depending on model year. You can avoid doing any cutting by purchasing a center console bezel for a base 97 miata part # NB38-55-210A 00 which will fit this radio perfectly.
- A VERY small jeweler’s screwdriver
- #2 Phillips screwdriver, regular length and a “stubby”
- Dremel tool and some cutter/router/grinder bits
- Wire cutter or knife
- tape measure or ruler
- about 12″ of 12v electrical wire
- some male spade connectors
- a T-tap splice connector
- 2 sheet metal screw
- 4 3MX6 pan head screws
- some foam padding (optional)
Where can I buy one of these units?
Ebay is your best bet. Search for “Mazda CD” There should be several units for sale.
What is included with the unit?
The unit includes the unit itself and a wire harness to the radio.
How big is the unit?
See description below for dimensions.
Does the FADE control work with the headrest speaker?
Does the unit play MP3 CD’s?
Does the unit play CDR’s?
Does the tuner on the unit go down to 87.7?
Does the unit have RCA output jacks?
How many watts does the internal amp have?
According to reviews of the unit and sales literature the unit has 190watts.
What color does the control buttons on the unit illuminate?
Green. See photo below.
Is there a users manual for this unit?
Can I use the existing mounting brackets from the OEM Radio?
Yes, but it does require modifications to either the bracket or the radio.
Where can I get more information about this install?
Go here http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=157802&highlight=cape+fear+club
Other Installation photos can be found at http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=srs&album_id=119501
A review of a similiar unit found in the Mazda Tribute review http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/roadtest/45132/page003.html
Made in Japan by Matsushita
Communication Industrial Co. Ltd. Yokohama Japan
Model No: YL84 18C868-AC
Size: DOUBLE DIN 6 CDs IN-DASH CHANGER+CASSETTE+RADIO
The plastic face measures 7.5″Wx4.625″Hx0.5″D and the metallic body measures 7.0″Wx4.5″Hx6.625″D